FIN 220 Unit 2

STILL LIFE

In the end, I included the orange insert through which the blade protrudes. It would break up the monotony or homogeneity of the negative space and improve the pairing of the blues and the oranges.

Still life set-up. Powerful lamp/spotlight created the main shadows. Viewfinder/frame was secured in place, so I could use the same markers and reference points every time I went back to it. I put the fluorescent yellow glasses strap in the recess in the fence so I could paint the shadows as if there was no recess.

My whole set-up. Going back to the viewfinder every time I needed to refresh my view quickly became very tedious and time consuming. In the end, I relied much more on photographs.

View through the cardboard frame/viewfinder. This wasn’t the one I ultimately used, but not far off.

Table Saw #1

Dry brushing throughout, except for the facial features. On phthalo turquoise underpainting, which remains a significant feature of the painting. Smaller details were harder to dry brush and I’m sure I wasn’t dry brushing some of those parts. Still, I think the overall dry brushing effect is obvious.

Table Saw #2

Monochromatic with Payne’s Grey. Except for the few facial features, this was all done with drywall scrapers and palette knives. I enjoy this technique: it’s very much like sculpting and it forces me away from that tight, controlled technique I’m so used to using. It also doesn’t lend itself to small detail, but as I look back on it, maybe that forces me to loosen up more and I think the result is effective.

No underpainting used. Saw blade perspective is off a bit.

Table Saw #3

Commentary: My goal with these pieces was to force myself to try looser techniques and compare that to my usual tighter and detailed style, as with this third painting. I enjoyed using the scrapers the most, and I think this could be a very effective technique with a larger piece. I also wanted to make a piece that was quirky and perhaps humorous, not intending any meaning other than that.